- Titane anatase. Haüy, Tabl. 116.
- Anatase. Haüy, Traité 3. 129.
- Schorl bleu. De Lisle, 2. 406.
- Octaèdrite. Sauss. Voyage dans les Alpes, No. 1901.
- Oisanite. Lamentherie Theor. de la Terre, Ed. 2. 2. 269.
This ore of Titanium is very scarce, and has hitherto been found only in Dauphiny. The specimens here figured are by favour of my friend, W. Lowry, Esq. whom I have before mentioned. It is found crystallized in more or less perfect modified or elongated octaëdrons, whence one of its names. The inclination of the two pyramids from the mutual square base is 137°. It will scratch glass, but is brittle and easily broken. The lustre is somewhat glassy; fracture foliated; colour from warmish brown, to dullish, or Indigo blue, with various degrees of transparency, and a shining or polished surface; faces transversely striated. Spec. Grav. 3.857. It is usually accompanied by Quartz and Adularia, or transparent Feldspar.
|Oxide of Titanium||59.1|